This question is a follow-up of another one I had asked quite a while ago:
We have been given an array of integers and another number k and we need to find the total number of continuous subarrays whose sum equals to k. For e.g., for the input:
[1,1,1]andk=2, the expected output is2.
In the accepted answer, @talex says:
PS: BTW if all values are non-negative there is better algorithm. it doesn't require extra memory.
While I didn't think much about it then, I am curious about it now. IMHO, we will require extra memory. In the event that all the input values are non-negative, our running (prefix) sum will go on increasing, and as such, sure, we don't need an unordered_map to store the frequency of a particular sum. But, we will still need extra memory (perhaps an unordered_set) to store the running (prefix) sums that we get along the way. This obviously contradicts what @talex said.
Could someone please confirm if we absolutely do need extra memory or if it could be avoided?
Thanks!