In imperative programming, there is concise syntax sugar for changing part of an object, e.g. assigning to a field:
foo.bar = new_value
Or to an element of an array, or in some languages an array-like list:
a[3] = new_value
In functional programming, the idiom is not to mutate part of an existing object, but to create a new object with most of the same values, but a different value for that field or element.
At the semantic level, this brings about significant improvements in ease of understanding and composing code, albeit not without trade-offs.
I am asking here about the trade-offs at the syntax level. In general, creating a new object with most of the same values, but a different value for one field or element, is a much more heavyweight operation in terms of how it looks in your code.
Is there any functional programming language that provides syntax sugar to make that operation look more concise? Obviously you can write a function to do it, but imperative languages provide syntax sugar to make it more concise than calling a procedure; do any functional languages provide syntax sugar to make it more concise than calling a function? I could swear that I have seen syntax sugar for at least the object.field case, in some functional language, though I forget which one it was.
(Performance is out of scope here. In this context, I am talking only about what the code looks like and does, not how fast it does it.)