TL;DR
logging online users and reporting back a count (based on a mongo find)
We've got a saas app for schools and students, as part of this I've been wanting a 'live' who's online ticker.
Teachers from the schools will see the counter, and the students and parents will trigger it.
I've got a socket.io connect from the web app to a NodeJS app. Where there is lots of traffic, the Node/Mongo servers can't handle it, and rather than trow more resources at it, I figured it's better to optomise the code - because I don't know what I'm doing :D
with each student page load: Create a socket.io connection with the following object:
{
'name': 'student or caregiver name',
'studentID': 123456,
'schoolID': 123,
'role': 'student', // ( or 'mother' or 'father' )
'page': window.location
}
in my NODE script:
io.on('connection', function(client) {
// if it's a student connection..
if(client.handshake.query.studentID) {
let student = client.handshake.query; // that student object
student.online = new Date();
student.offline = null;
db.collection('students').updateOne({
"reference": student.schoolID + student.studentID + student.role }, { $set: student
}, { upsert: true });
}
// IF STAFF::: just show count!
if(client.handshake.query.staffID) {
db.collection('students').find({ 'offline': null, 'schoolID':client.handshake.query.schoolID }).count(function(err, students_connected) {
emit('online_users' students_connected);
});
}
client.on('disconnect', function() {
// then if the students leaves the page..
if(client.handshake.query.studentID) {
db.collection('students').updateMany({ "reference": student.reference }, { $set: { "offline": new Date().getTime() } })
.catch(function(er) {});
}
// IF STAFF::: just show updated count!
if(client.handshake.query.staffID) {
db.collection('students').find({ 'offline': null, 'schoolID':client.handshake.query.schoolID }).count(function(err, students_connected) {
emit('online_users' students_connected);
});
}
});
});
What Mongo Indexes would you add, would you store online students differently (and in a different collection) to a 'page tracking' type deal like this? (this logs the page and duration so I have another call later that pulls that - but that's not heavily used or causing the issue.
If separately, then insert, then delete?
The EMIT() to staff users, how can I only emit to staff with the same schoolID as the Students?
Thanks!