I have a valid code signing certificate. I use it to sign a WPF application. This app will run as an administrator. It has a valid app.manifest.
<requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
</requestedPrivileges>
The MSIX file was built with the MSIX Packaging Tool. I signed the MSIX application package with the same certificate. The appx manifest has these capabilities.
<Capabilities>
<Capability Name="internetClient" />
<rescap:Capability Name="runFullTrust" />
<rescap:Capability Name="allowElevation" />
</Capabilities>
I install the MSIX file on a Windows 10 Pro machine running version 1903. It installs correctly, and indicates that it's a trusted application. When I launch the app, I see the yellow warning, "this file is running from an untrusted location." I expect to see the blue UAC elevation warning because the application is signed.
I unpacked the MSIX file and verified that the EXE is signed with the code signing certificate. It is. I launched the EXE file and I see the correct, blue, UAC elevation warning with the company name from the certificate.
Why does Windows 10 think the WPF application is launching from an untrusted source?