I'm having difficulties to find a way of getting the string before the last slash in excel 2007 formula.
https://www.example.com/text13611283/url_complement
The string I need is this: text13611283
I'm having difficulties to find a way of getting the string before the last slash in excel 2007 formula.
https://www.example.com/text13611283/url_complement
The string I need is this: text13611283
There are multiple ways to do this task based on input value Case 1: you can Delimit the column by using menu "DATA/Text to Columns"
Case 2: Assuming your text is in A2 Cell the formula in B2 will be "=LEFT(MID(A2,FIND("/",A2,10)+1,100),FIND("/",MID(A2,FIND("/",A2,10)+1,100),1)-1)"
A1Formula
=MID(A1,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1))+1,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1))-1)
How?
How Formulas
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")))
=FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))))
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1)
=FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1))
=MID(A1,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1))+1,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","@",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1))-1)
=INDEX(TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",REPT(" ",99)),IF(ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,255))=1,1,(ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,255))-1)*99),99)),4)
/ with 99 spacesMID, create an array of each 99-space separated element in the string
=IF(ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,255))=1,1,(ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,255))-1)*99) creates an array to be used for the start argument of the MID function. It returns an array of {1,99,198,297,...}TRIM to get rid of the extra spacesINDEX to extract the correct element. In this case, it would be 4.