I'm trying to write an interface (in Python 3.8, using tkinter) to accept text in Greek (typed using the Greek Polytonic keyboard in Windows 10). However, the Entry and Text won't accept all typed Greek characters: Greek letters by themselves can be typed, but if I try to type any letters with diacritics other than the acute accent, ? is displayed instead of the character. (I think that tkinter accepts characters in the "Greek and Coptic" but not the "Greek Extended" Unicode block.) I know that tkinter can display such characters because they show up fine when they're inserted by the program (e.g. TextInstance.insert(tkinter.INSERT, 'ῆ') inserts ῆ but just typing that character using the keyboard's shortcut inserts ?). What do I need to do for tkinter to recognize typed Greek characters?
(I also tried just re-binding the keyboard shortcuts by adding TextInstance.bind('[h', lambda *ignored: TextInstance.insert(tkinter.INSERT, 'ῆ'))
with each character and its shortcut; that worked in the English keyboard (although the characters that activated the event were also inserted), but in the Greek Polytonic keyboard bindings on letter keys weren't activated at all.)