What are the differences on the logon types choices on jenkins?

Viewed 9286

I have installed jenkins before on some machines from the .war file and the from the web page installed as a windows service.

Now I am trying to install it on a different machine through the .msi file, but I am having an issue, on the installation steps there is one step which asks me "Logon type" which gives me 2 choices as it can be seen on the image. I do not know the differences between them and also it only lets me choose run service as a local system(not recommended) adn this install jenkins on the windows/system32 folder. I have been loking to tutorials but it seems all of them skip this step. I have also search on here with no success. Does anyone know the difference and how to use the recommended one? I have tried to enter my windows and jenkins credentials and nothing. What user and password are to be entered on this window?

Jenkins Menu

Thanks in advance!

3 Answers

I suggest reading the old installation documentation, the new installer updates, the actual Install on Windows doc, as well as MS Doc Using the LocalSystem Account as a Service Logon Account, S/O explanation The difference between the 'Local System' account and the 'Network Service' account? and S/O explanation Why running a service as Local System is bad on windows?.

In short, you want to create a specific service account to run Jenkins because it's safer than running as highly privileged LocalSystem - Win equivalent of root. That account must have LogonAsService rights.

See MS docs Enable Service Logon and Log on as a service

Also, the new installer is literally new, .. I have raised JENKINS-63477 to get documentation improved.

I am not a Windows specialist (I have just installed Jenkins on Linux boxes) but I think that screen refers to the operating system starting the Jenkins' service on your machine.

What a would do is create a local user for Jenkins, with the proper permissions so it can have access to what it needs.

As Local machine it will have a full access to the whole computer and services.

The tricky part is finding the proper permissions, but you can try to check on Jenkins website to see if the have a guide.

Hope this helped

I experience this problem also, It happens that the new jenkins at this time does not support the current Java JDK 15, so what I did was to uninstall java 15 and instead used java 11 JDK check from your command line with java --version Once you have the right JDK From you cmd line; navigate to where you have Jenkins installed C:\Program Files\Jenkins and then run >java -jar jenkins.war Follow the command from there, it should be smooth

Related