My program takes an arbitrary number of words at runtime and stores them in a dynamically-sized array of words.
Currently, my program runs well, except when I use free() to free up the memory of the temporary double pointer temp. I am not quite sure why it does this, as I thought it would cause errors if I didn't use it.
int wordSize = 10, arrSize = 1, i = 0;
char **stringArr, **temp;
char *input;
stringArr = malloc(arrSize * sizeof(char *));
puts("Accepting input...");
for (;;) {
if (i >= arrSize) {
arrSize += 1;
temp = realloc(stringArr, arrSize * sizeof(char *));
if (temp != NULL) {
stringArr = temp;
free(temp); // This is the line that is giving me issues; removing it works
} else {
puts("Could not allocate more memory");
return 0;
}
}
stringArr[i] = malloc(sizeof(input));
input = malloc(wordSize * sizeof(char));
scanf("%10s", input);
if (strcmp(input, "END")) {
strcpy(stringArr[i], input);
i++;
} else
break;
}
free(stringArr);
At the bottom of my program I use free() without any issues. How come it works OK here but not earlier on in the program.
I feel I am missing something about how free() works.
Note: this is my first program implementing malloc() and realloc(), so I am only just getting used to how they work. If you know of a better way to accomplish what I am doing that, please feel free to describe.