How do I read Athena-created Parquet tables into python

Viewed 344

I created a table using Athena CTAS statements. Per Glue, I see that the table is stored on my s3 bucket. I further confirmed that there are files in the expected place in my s3 bucket.

These files, however, are not parquet files (they are extension-less). When I try to read them into python using pd.read_parquet, I get the Error "Parquet magic bytes not found in footer. Either the file is corrupted or this is not a parquet file.". A similar error occurs when I try to query the table and read the csv output using pd.read_csv. There, the error is "'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xee in position 0: invalid continuation byte". I tried using awswrangler and got the same errors.

I'm pretty sure these errors are related to the SSE_S3 encryption I put on the bucket. However, I'm at a loss as to how I can actually interact with these files outside of Athena.

1 Answers

The resolution is that the default Athena workgroup had CSE_KMS encryption turned on. I couldn't quickly figure out how to pass these options via awswrangler, so I took the shortcut of recreating the table using another workgroup that didn't have encryption.

Related