Matplotlib: Plotting more data points than pixels available on screen

Viewed 167

I am writting a program which updates a matplotlib plot with 10.000.000-20.000.000 data points (waveform from oscilloscope) every 10sec.

I want to plot the highest possible resolution within the shortest possible time. The plot does not look really different if I plot all data points or every 1000th, but it updates faster with less data points (~0.3sec execution time with every 1000th point, ~1.5sec with every point).

Since there are more data points than pixels on my screen, matplotlib cannot show all the data points on my screen.

What are the max. actual diplayed data points on screen with matplotlib?

How can I optimize plotting by only displaying as many data points as actually getting displayed on the screen?

Unfortunately I did not find answers to this on the internet & I would be happy if someone could explain how matplotlib handles this internally, because I do not understand it!

0 Answers
Related