I've recently gone down the rabbit hole of learning about modular programming with JavaScript, including some history of JS module systems, bundlers and ES2015 Modules. I now understand some of the pains that bundlers help/ed alleviate, such as:
- network latency (more effective caching of a single bundle, HTTP/1.0 connections),
- performance constraints on the size of application modules (minification, tree-shaking),
- ES2015 not supporting some features (bare imports),
- and backwards compatibility with older module systems (transpilation of ES2015 Modules syntax).
However I'd like to know if it is possible to create a production JS web application in 2020 that doesn't use a bundler like webpack or Parcel and uses ES2015 Modules? A caveat being that a source-to-source compiler like Babel could still be used provided it preserves ES2015 Modules syntax. I'm not saying I would like to do this but for the sake of argument, what would be the downsides?