How to install python-mysqldb for Python 2.7 in Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa)?

Viewed 11700

I've tried "apt-get install python-mysqldb" which results in:

root@ps1svr:~# apt-get install python-mysqldb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package python-mysqldb is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'python-mysqldb' has no installation candidate

Note: "apt-get install python3-mysqldb" works, however I have a lot of code written for Python 2.x which no longer runs, and this is causing enough problems that I'm probably going to have to reinstall Ubuntu 18.04

2 Answers

Also you can just add the Ubuntu 18.04 repositoery to install the python-mysqldb package:

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic main'
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y python-mysqldb

This will download, build and install it for all users, using pip

sudo apt install libmysqlclient-dev python2.7-dev

wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
sudo python2.7 get-pip.py

sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/paulfitz/mysql-connector-c/master/include/my_config.h -O /usr/include/mysql/my_config.h

sudo pip2 install MySQL-python

Answer found from MySQLdb install error - _mysql.c:44:23: error: my_config.h: No such file or directory

Related