What are ways of creating persistent values with Google Sheets API?

Viewed 176

I am writing a Google Sheet google script program. Multiple UrlFetch calls get data that I would like to be stored somewhere and accessed later (without the need to call UrlFetch again). I have tried multiple ways to preserve information beyond a single run of a function. Based on my research:

  • global variables inside .gs files are redefined each time a function is called. Not fitting to store persistent values
  • PropertiesService allows storing text string... but my data quickly outgrew it.
  • So I started storing in Sheets inside the spreadsheet, and I believe my data outgrew the spreadsheet file as well (past the 15th tab or so I get an exception when I try to run my function again). [is there a way to get the size of your file? - just so I can verify the 5million cell limit is reached?]
  • My next go-to now would be to create files on Google Drive.

Is that the way to proceed? Do you think I should store data inside another Spreadsheet file or in a text file or something? JSON file?

0 Answers
Related