I need to receive location updates even when the app is terminated by the user. Apps like life360 receive accurate location updates in all app states: terminated, background, and foreground. The following two documentations from Apple reinforce that it is possible to get location updates after the app has been terminated:
Strangely enough, I contacted apple directly because I have not been able to get location updates in a terminated state. This is the exact response:
It is expected behavior that an app will not be woken in the background by a Significant Location Change if the app had previously been force-quit by the user. Force quit is a drastic choice by the user to say that they do not want the app to run, often because it misbehaved in some unrecoverable manner.
The only location API that will relaunch an app after a force quit is Region Monitoring.
This begs the question, who is right? Is the documentation incorrect or out of date? How does life360 continuously track the location of my family despite being in a terminated state? Does Apple give special treatment to life360?