I have two files that I am working with. The first file is a master database file that I am having to search through. The second file is a file that I can make that allows me to name the items from the master database that I would like to pull out. I have managed to make an AWK solution that will search the master database and extract the exact line that matches the second file. However, I cannot figure out how to copy the lines after the match to my new file.
The master database looks something like this:
40005X/50005/60005/3/10/9/
10038A/20038/30038/0/5/23./XXXX/
10039A/20039/30039/0/5/23./XXXX/
10040A/20040/30040/0/5/23./XXXX/
10041A/20041/30041/0/5/23./XXXX/
10042A/20042/30042/0/5/23./XXXX/
10043A/20043/30043/0/5/23./XXXX/
10044A/20044/30044/0/5/23./XXXX/
10045A/20045/30045/0/5/23./XXXX/
10046A/20046/30046/0/5/23./XXXX/
40006X/50006/60006/3/10/3/
10047A/20047/30047/0/5/23./XXXX/
10048A/20048/30048/0/5/23./XXXX/
10049A/20049/30049/0/5/23./XXXX/
40007X/50007/60007/3/10/3/
10050A/20050/30050/0/5/23./XXXX/
10051A/20051/30051/0/5/23./XXXX/
10052A/20052/30052/0/5/23./XXXX/
40008X/50008/60008/3/10/1/
10053A/20053/30053/0/5/23./XXXX/
40009X/50009/60009/3/10/3/
10054A/20054/30054/0/5/23./XXXX/
10055A/20055/30055/0/5/23./XXXX/
10056A/20056/30056/0/5/23./XXXX/
40010X/50010/60010/3/10/3/
10057A/20057/30057/0/5/23./XXXX/
10058A/20058/30058/0/5/23./XXXX/
10059A/20059/30059/0/5/23./XXXX/
In my example, the lines that start with 4000 is the first line that I am matching up to. The last number in that row is what tells me how many lines there are to copy. So in the first line, 40005X/50005/60005/3/10/9/, I would be matching off of the 40005X, and the 9 in that line tells me that there are 9 lines underneath that I need to copy with it.
The second file is very simple and looks something like this:
40005X
40007X
40008X
As the script finds each match, I would like to move the information from the first file to a new file for analysis. The end result would look like this:
40005X/50005/60005/3/10/9/
10038A/20038/30038/0/5/23./XXXX/
10039A/20039/30039/0/5/23./XXXX/
10040A/20040/30040/0/5/23./XXXX/
10041A/20041/30041/0/5/23./XXXX/
10042A/20042/30042/0/5/23./XXXX/
10043A/20043/30043/0/5/23./XXXX/
10044A/20044/30044/0/5/23./XXXX/
10045A/20045/30045/0/5/23./XXXX/
10046A/20046/30046/0/5/23./XXXX/
40007X/50007/60007/3/10/3/
10050A/20050/30050/0/5/23./XXXX/
10051A/20051/30051/0/5/23./XXXX/
10052A/20052/30052/0/5/23./XXXX/
40008X/50008/60008/3/10/1/
10053A/20053/30053/0/5/23./XXXX/
The code that I currently have that will match the first line is this:
#! /bin/ksh
file1=input_file
file2=input_masterdb
file3=output_test
awk -F'/' 'NR==FNR {id[$1]; next} $1 in id' $file1 $file2 > $file3
I have had the most success with AWK, however I am open to any suggestion. However, I am working on this on a UNIX system. I would like to keep it as a KSH script, since most of the other scripts that I use with this are written in that format, and I am most familiar with it.
Thank you for your help!!