PDO Prepared Statement to UPDATE substring based on position

Viewed 40

I'm brand new to stackoverflow and my PDO skills are limited, so I'm asking for help from someone who knows more than I do.

I use PDO prepared statements almost exclusively and for one particular app I've been fetching an entire string, modifying, then updating it.

What I would like to do is update a substring based on a positional value sent along with the modified string.

For example, if my string is "abcdefg" I would like to be able to send the string "z" along with the integer 2 which would replace "b" with "z" so the stored string would now read "azcdefg".

The following code is not correct, I know, but it shows the general outline of what I'm trying to accomplish:

$user = $_POST['user'];
$newstring = $_POST['newstring'];
$integer = $_POST['integer'];

$sql = "UPDATE table SET string=? WHERE user=?";
$stmt= $pdo->prepare($sql);
$stmt->execute( [substring $integer] $newstring, $user]);

Again, the code is totally not right, at least with respect to the substring line, because I have no idea how to tell it to update just a specific substring position with a new string.

0 Answers
Related