pip install tensorflow cannot find file called client_load_reporting_filter.h

Viewed 6426

I keep failing to run pip install on the tensorflow package. First it downloads the .whl file, then goes through a bunch of already satisfied requirements until it gets to installing collected packages: tensorflow, at which point here's the error I get:

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\Borik\\AppData\\Local\\Packages\\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.8_qbz5n2kfra8p0\\LocalCache\\local-packages\\Python38\\site-packages\\tensorflow\\include\\external\\com_github_grpc_grpc\\src\\core\\ext\\filters\\client_channel\\lb_policy\\grpclb\\client_load_reporting_filter.h'

I've never seen anything like this before and can't seem to find anything on the net. I'm using Windows 10 and the latest versions of Python and pip.

2 Answers

I hit the same issue on Win10. Rather than renaming my filesystem, I found a good solution in this Python documentation. To summarize the instructions there to change MAX_PATH, either:

  • Enable the "Enable Win32 long paths" group policy:
    • Run gpedit (or searching for "Edit Group Policy" in the Control Panel)
    • Find the "Enable Win32 long paths" option in the sidebar. It should be under Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Filesystem (under both Windows 10 and Windows 11, currently).
  • Or edit the registry setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem and set LongPathsEnabled to 1.

This extends path from char(256) to char(32000). After this change, my 'pip install tensorflow' succeeded.

I got the same problem in Windows 10.

I have downloaded Python 3.10 and installed it with PATH.

I found that there is a duplicate installation for Python 3.10 (the same from the Windows Store app. My solution was to uninstall the application of Python from the Windows Store.

You don't have this folder in your PC:

C:\Users\<yourName>\AppData\Local\packages\pythonsoftwarefoundation.python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0
Related