I have 8 instances on ap-northeast-1a. Types are t3a.medium, t2.small and c5d.large. I also have a t2.small in the ap-northeast-1d availibility zone.
Any internet connection reaching those instances is really slow.
For example, if I try to scp a file, I get download speeds of around 20KB/s, then it slowly goes down to about 10kb/s. My local machine is in France.
scp my_user@production_server:/home/my_user/big_file .
big_file 192KB 12.7KB/s 02:19 ETA
The ssh connection is really unresponsive too. For example, the output of htop takes a few seconds to display.
Some of the 8 instances have elastic ip, some don't. One is in a different availability zone. For all of them, I get the slow download speed. One interesting fact is that upload is fast. I get speeds between 1 and 2 MB/s.
scp big_file my_user@production_server:/home/my_user
big_file 49% 3360KB 1.2MB/s 00:02 ETA
I also tried changing local internet connection to a 4g hotspot, and the behavior is the same. I'm thinking the issue is related to network activity going out of the datacenter.
I am not a network expert, how can I troubleshoot this further?
Edit
I tried running this:
traceroute <my-server-ip>
It gives the following output:
[first 13 lines look normal]
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * 52.95.31.31 (52.95.31.31) 248.392 ms
52.95.31.59 (52.95.31.59) 247.997 ms
18 52.95.31.165 (52.95.31.165) 249.730 ms 262.213 ms
52.95.31.179 (52.95.31.179) 248.495 ms
19 * 52.95.31.208 (52.95.31.208) 246.955 ms *
20 52.95.31.130 (52.95.31.130) 249.471 ms 248.195 ms 250.721 ms
21 52.95.30.216 (52.95.30.216) 249.071 ms
52.95.30.220 (52.95.30.220) 247.704 ms 247.702 ms
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
31 * * *
32 * * *
33 * * *
34 * * *
35 * * *
36 * * *
37 * * *
38 * * *
39 * * *
40 * * *
41 * * *
42 * * *
43 * * *
44 * * *
45 * * *
46 * * *
47 * * *
48 * * *
49 * * *
50 * * *
51 * * *
52 * * *
53 * * *
54 * * *
55 * * *
56 * * *
57 * * *
58 * * *
59 * * *
60 * * *
61 * * *
62 * * *
63 * * *
64 * * *
I didn't truncate the end or kill it while running, it ends like this.