I want to override the __iter__ method of the ExternalIter which is defined in an external library so I cannot change the source code of ExternalIter class. I implemented two different ways of overriding in the MyIter2 and MyIter3.
class ExternalIter:
def __init__(self):
self.x = iter([
(1, 2),
(3, 4),
(5, 6),
(7, 8),
(9, 10)
])
def __iter__(self):
return self
def __next__(self):
return next(self.x)
class MyIter2(ExternalIter):
def __iter__(self):
while True:
try:
i, j = super().__next__()
yield i
yield j
except StopIteration:
break
class MyIter3(ExternalIter):
def __iter__(self):
for i, j in super().__iter__():
yield i
yield j
Original behavior of the ExternalIter is the following:
for i in ExternalIter():
print(i)
# (1, 2)
# (3, 4)
# (5, 6)
# (7, 8)
# (9, 10)
I want to override the behavior of the __iter__ as in the following example:
for i in MyIter2():
print(i)
# 1
# 2
# 3
# 4
# 5
# 6
# 7
# 8
# 9
# 10
MyIter2 works as excepted. However, an alternative way of overriding as I did in MyIter3 throws RecursionError.
for i in MyIter3():
print(i)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RecursionError Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-8-4e1114201cac> in <module>
----> 1 for i in MyIter3():
2 print(i)
<ipython-input-5-82da3324a8a3> in __iter__(self)
30
31 def __iter__(self):
---> 32 for i, j in super().__iter__():
33 yield i
34 yield j
... last 1 frames repeated, from the frame below ...
<ipython-input-5-82da3324a8a3> in __iter__(self)
30
31 def __iter__(self):
---> 32 for i, j in super().__iter__():
33 yield i
34 yield j
RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object
Can you explain why the second implementation of overriding throws error while the first way works? How can I override __iter__ with using super().__iter__() without getting RecursionError?
Can you explain how __iter__ works in this context of inheritance to understand why super().__iter__() refers to the self, not the parent?