Intuitively, I would think that when you create a MaxByteReader and pass in the http.ResponseWriter, it would write out the status code for you. But that isn't the case, what does the writer actually do?
example:
func maxBytesMiddleware(next http.Handler) http.Handler {
return http.HandlerFunc(func(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
r.Body = http.MaxBytesReader(w, r.Body, 1)
next.ServeHTTP(w, r)
})
}
func mainHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
var i interface{}
err := json.NewDecoder(r.Body).Decode(&i)
if err != nil {
fmt.Println(err.Error())
}
}
func TestMaxBytesMiddleware(t *testing.T) {
handlerToTest := maxBytesMiddleware(http.HandlerFunc(mainHandler))
req := httptest.NewRequest(http.MethodPost, "http://test.com", bytes.NewReader(json.RawMessage(`{"hello":"world"}`)))
recorder := httptest.NewRecorder()
handlerToTest.ServeHTTP(recorder, req)
if recorder.Result().StatusCode != http.StatusRequestEntityTooLarge {
t.Errorf("expected %d got %d", http.StatusRequestEntityTooLarge, recorder.Result().StatusCode)
}
}
but when this test runs I get this:
http: request body too large
--- FAIL: TestMaxBytesMiddleware (0.00s)
main_test.go:37: expected 413 got 200
if I want the desired functionality of what I thought this function did, I need to change my mainHandler to something like this:
func mainHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
var i interface{}
err := json.NewDecoder(r.Body).Decode(&i)
if err != nil {
if err.Error() == "http: request body too large" {
w.WriteHeader(http.StatusRequestEntityTooLarge)
return
}
fmt.Println(err.Error())
}
}
So what is that writer even there for?