I have a postgres database hosted in docker running on localhost with the default postgres port 5432 but I am unable to connect to the database at all via either pgAdmin4 or TypeORM. Both throw the same error saying invalid password.
I am using the following docker-compose.yml file to create the database:
version: '3.8'
services:
db:
image: postgres
volumes:
- ./pgdata:/var/lib/postgresql/data
ports:
- '5432:5432'
environment:
POSTGRES_DB: maindb
POSTGRES_USER: admin
POSTGRES_PASSWORD: admin
I would therefore expect to be able to connect to the database via pgAdmin4 by entering the default port 5432 on localhost ( also tried localhost ip 127.0.0.1 ) however when I try to login with the following credentials ( you have to trust me that the password is correct typed and retyped 10 times and copy pasted )
When I then press login I get the following error:
Unable to connect to server:
FATAL: password authentication failed for user "admin"
This is really strange as I see no reason as to why it would fail. I am 100% sure the environment variables got passed through as on docker desktop I can see that they are the same.
I also tried to connect to the database via TypeORM in the following manner:
createConnection({
type: 'postgres',
host: 'localhost',
port: 5432,
username: 'admin',
password: 'admin',
database: 'maindb',
entities: [App],
synchronize: true,
logging: false,
})
.then(connection => console.log('Logged in'))
.catch(error => console.log(error));
and I get this error message:
error: password authentication failed for user "admin"
REMOVED PATHS FOR CONCISENESS
{
length: 97,
severity: 'FATAL',
code: '28P01',
detail: undefined,
hint: undefined,
position: undefined,
internalPosition: undefined,
internalQuery: undefined,
where: undefined,
schema: undefined,
table: undefined,
column: undefined,
dataType: undefined,
constraint: undefined,
file: 'auth.c',
line: '285',
routine: 'auth_failed'
}
I also see no reason why this should fail. I wonder if it is a PostgreSQL problem or a docker problem? Potentially it is easier for me to switch DB provider?
Edit 1
Here are the logs from the start up:
Attaching to backend_db_1
db_1 | The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".
db_1 | This user must also own the server process.
db_1 |
db_1 | The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.utf8".
db_1 | The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
db_1 | The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
db_1 |
db_1 | Data page checksums are disabled.
db_1 |
db_1 | fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/postgresql/data ... ok
db_1 | creating subdirectories ... ok
db_1 | selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
db_1 | selecting default max_connections ... 100
db_1 | selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
db_1 | selecting default time zone ... Etc/UTC
db_1 | creating configuration files ... ok
db_1 | running bootstrap script ... ok
db_1 | performing post-bootstrap initialization ... ok
db_1 | initdb: warning: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
db_1 | You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the option -A, or
db_1 | --auth-local and --auth-host, the next time you run initdb.
db_1 | syncing data to disk ... ok
db_1 |
db_1 |
db_1 | Success. You can now start the database server using:
db_1 |
db_1 | pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/data -l logfile start
db_1 |
db_1 | waiting for server to start....2020-08-12 09:26:47.682 UTC [48] LOG: starting PostgreSQL 12.3 (Debian 12.3-1.pgdg100+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0, 64-bit
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:47.685 UTC [48] LOG: listening on Unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:47.744 UTC [49] LOG: database system was shut down at 2020-08-12 09:26:44 UTC
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:47.770 UTC [48] LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
db_1 | done
db_1 | server started
db_1 | CREATE DATABASE
db_1 |
db_1 |
db_1 | /usr/local/bin/docker-entrypoint.sh: ignoring /docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/*
db_1 |
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.836 UTC [48] LOG: received fast shutdown request
db_1 | waiting for server to shut down....2020-08-12 09:26:50.847 UTC [48] LOG: aborting any active transactions
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.849 UTC [48] LOG: background worker "logical replication launcher" (PID 55) exited with exit code 1
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.850 UTC [50] LOG: shutting down
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.929 UTC [48] LOG: database system is shut down
db_1 | done
db_1 | server stopped
db_1 |
db_1 | PostgreSQL init process complete; ready for start up.
db_1 |
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.971 UTC [1] LOG: starting PostgreSQL 12.3 (Debian 12.3-1.pgdg100+1) on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0, 64-bit
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.984 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 5432
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.984 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv6 address "::", port 5432
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:50.997 UTC [1] LOG: listening on Unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:51.051 UTC [66] LOG: database system was shut down at 2020-08-12 09:26:50 UTC
db_1 | 2020-08-12 09:26:51.080 UTC [1] LOG: database system is ready to accept connections