I have a Windows 10 machine running OpenSSH that I need to connect to over SSH using PuTTY. I have created a public/private key on the Host machine using PuTTYgen. I loaded the public into the user's profile directory under .ssh/authorized_keys. When I connect with PuTTY from a machine outside the network I get this error message:
"Server refused our key"
I have read several posts and they all indicate the public key is not being read correctly. I have made the following changes with no success.
- Update user permissions on .ssh and /authorized_keys setting the User as the owner.
- Currently my .ssh folder is located in %SYSTEMDRIVE%/users/[USERNAME]/.ssh
- I recreated this directory on my data drive to be sure that was not an issue: "D:/users/[USERNAME]/.ssh
- Because the account I am using is an administrator account I have created "%Program Data/ssh/adminstrators_authorized_keys
- I commented out the line in sshd_config that looks at the file in #4 when the user is an administrator.
None of these attempts have cleared up the problem. I have never set up SSH on a Windows 10 host before so I am out of ideas. I set up logging in sshd_config but there are no log files being generated.
Can someone help me get this figured out?