VSCode practically unusable with slow intellisense without using extensions

Viewed 4425

VSCode on my Macbook Pro is practically unusable due to the intellisense being ungodly slow. This includes:

  • hovering to find typescript types, inferred and explicit types
  • autocomplete variables/functions/etc
  • autocomplete for using shortcuts
  • error lines shown in editor

For example, I will have an error show. Something like "variable not defined" or something simple. But then when I go to rewrite the code, it takes forever for VSCode to catch up. Sometimes I have to let it sit 40-50seconds before it catches up with my changes. Hovering over typescript types is practically impossible at times and utterly useless. Below is a screenshot of the "lag" - changes were made, but it stuck like this for 30+ seconds:

enter image description here

  • It may be the specific project, because I can't recreate it for smaller projects. However, its only a 200k line project.
  • No specific extensions are slowing down VScode
  • I tried downgrading VsCode with no help

VSCODE VERSION: 1.47.3

1 Answers

In my case, the issue was GitLens. I was able to isolate this issue by using the Command Palette (Control + Shift + P) to disable all extensions (this will not uninstall them), restarted Visual Studio, then checked if the issue persists.

The issue did indeed persist, so I went into the Extensions tab extensions tab and filtered by @disabled:

disabled filter

By reenabling my extensions one by one, I found GitLens to be the culprit.

Related