mgcb editor (monogame) wont launch or download

Viewed 3090

i tried installing mgcb via nuget using vs. vs says:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Error Package 'dotnet-mgcb-editor 3.8.0.1641' has a package type 'DotnetTool' that is not supported by project 'Game2'.

and dotnet tool says I need dotnetcore app 3.1. and won't download the file.

so then I download the nupkg file and unzip it and when i tried to start the .exe it wouldn't start

and so far I have not found a way to download/start the editor.

how do i fix this and download mgcb?

1 Answers

From Monogame3.8, you need to have dotnet-sdk installed (regardless of whether you are using Windows/Mac/Ubuntu). You haven't specified your OS, so go to https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download and install it in your system. (If you are using Windows, you might want to install dotnet-sdk from Visual Studio).

With dotnet installed and added in the PATH, open a terminal and enter this command to install mgcb-editor

dotnet tool install -g dotnet-mgcb-editor

And you're good to go.

Edit: Do not use dotnet 5 preview release. Right now the RC is dotnet SDK 3.1 and that's the one to use

Related