I am trying to migrate some code using a Repository pattern from Vapor 3 to Vapor 4. I have gone through the documentation of this specific pattern from the Vapor 4 documentation, and I think I understand it for the most part.
The one thing I am not getting, however, is the way that the repository factory gets set within the Application extension. The example from the documentation shows this:
extension Application {
private struct UserRepositoryKey: StorageKey {
typealias Value = UserRepositoryFactory
}
var users: UserRepositoryFactory {
get {
self.storage[UserRepositoryKey.self] ?? .init()
}
set {
self.storage[UserRepositoryKey.self] = newValue
}
}
}
If I am reading the getter method correctly (and I might not be - I'm far from a Swift expert), a new instance of the UserRepositoryFactory structure will be created and returned when app.users is referenced. At that time, however, it does not appear that the contents of self.storage[UserRepositoryKey.self] is changed in any way. So if I happened to access app.users two times in a row, I would get 2 different instances returned to me and self.storage[UserRepositoryKey.self] would remain set to nil.
Following through the rest of the sample code in the document, it appears to define the make function that will be used by the factory when configuring the app as so:
app.users.use { req in
DatabaseUserRepository(database: req.db)
}
Here it seems like app.users.use would get a new factory instance and call its use function to set the appropriate make method for that instance.
Later, when I go to handle a request, I use the request.users method that was defined by this Request extension:
extension Request {
var users: UserRepository {
self.application.users.make!(self)
}
}
Here it seems like self.application.users.make would be invoked on a different repository factory instance that is referenced by self.application.users. It would therefore not apply the factory's make method that was set earlier when configuring the application.
So what am I missing here?