According to the documentation, the setContentLength(int len) method of the ServletResponse interface sets the length of the content body in the response In HTTP servlets, this method sets the HTTP Content-Length header.
- Parameters:
len- an integer specifying the length of the content being returned to the client; sets the Content-Length header
Here is the from the doGet() method of the class which extends HttpServlet:
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
response.setContentType("text/plain");
response.setContentLength(6);
PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
out.write("What's your name? ");
out.write("" + response.isCommitted());
}
When I run this on the Chrome browser, the output is: What's your name? false
I am confusing what actually is the metric for calculating the length of the setContentLength() here, whether it is in byte, character, or something, and if it sets the content length of the body, why response.isCommitted() returns false and the length of the text I want to output was not truncated somehow? Thanks.

