I am trying to build a web application which will need to have audio streaming functionality implemented in some way. Just to give you guys some context: It is designed to be a purely auditive experience/game/idkhowtocallit with lots of different sound assets varying in length and thus file size. The sound assets to be provided will consist of ambient sounds, spoken bits of conversation, but also long music sets (up to a couple of hours). Why I think I won't be able to just host these audio files on some server or CDN and serve them from there is, because the sound assets will need to be fetched and played dynamically (depending on user interaction) and as instantly as possible.
- Most importantly, consuming larger files (like the music sets and long ambient loops) as a whole doesn't seem to be client-friendly at all to me (used data consumption on mobile networks and client-side memory usage).
- Also, without any buffering or streaming mechanism, the client won't be able to start playing these files before they are downloaded completely, right? Which would add the issue of high latencies.
I've tried to do some online research on how to properly implement a good infrastructure to stream bigger audio files to clients on the server side and found HLS and MPEG-DASH. I have some experience with consuming HLS players with web players and if I understand it correctly, I would use some sort of one-time transformation process (on or after file upload) to split up the files into chunks and create the playlist and then just serve these files via HTTP. From what I understand the process should be more or less the same for MPEG-DASH. My issue with these two techniques is that I couldn't really find any documentation on how to implement JavaScript/TypeScript clients (particularly using the Web Audio API) without reinventing the wheel. My best guess would be to use something like hls.js and bind the HLS streams to freshly created audio elements and use these elements to create AudioSources in my Web Audio Graph. How far off am I? I'm trying to get at least an idea of a best practice.
To sum up what I would really appreciate to get some clarity about:
- Would HLS or MPEG-DASH really be the way to go or am I missing a more basic chunked file streaming mechanism with good libraries?
- How - theoretically - would I go about limiting the amount of chunks downloaded in advance on the client side to save client-side resources, which is one of my biggest concerns?
- I was looking into hosting services as well, but figured that most of them are specialized in hosting podcasts (fewer but very large files). Has anyone an opinion about whether I could use these services to host and stream possibly 1000s of files with sizes ranging from very small to rather large?
Thank you so much in advance to everyone who will be bothered with helping me out. Really appreciate it.