RHEL 8 Container MSSQL ODBC Driver e2fsprogs

Viewed 2111

I'm trying to build a custom docker container using the RHEL 8 UBI. As part of this I want to install the MSSQL 17 ODBC driver. I've followed the steps outlined in Microsofts Documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/odbc/linux-mac/installing-the-microsoft-odbc-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15#redhat17

And added the Microsoft repo to my yum.repos.d directory however when I try to build the container I get the following error: nothing provides e2fsprogs needed by msodbcsql17-17.6.1.1-1.x86_64

When I dug a bit further into this it looks as though it looks as though for RHEL-7 Microsoft suggest installing e2fsprogs manually you can see that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/connect/odbc/linux-mac/installing-the-microsoft-odbc-driver-for-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15#offline-installation

This unfortunately isn't possible in RHEL-8 as e2fsprogs-static has been removed: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html-single/considerations_in_adopting_rhel_8/index#removed-packages_changes-to-packages

The full output from the build is:

$  docker build -f ./test.dockerfile -t daark:1 .
Sending build context to Docker daemon  25.77MB
Step 1/7 : FROM registry.redhat.io/ubi8/ubi
 ---> a1f8c9699786
Step 2/7 : RUN curl https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/8/prod.repo > /etc/yum.repos.d/mssql-release.repo
 ---> Using cache
 ---> 90b3e1514239
Step 3/7 : RUN yum search odbc
 ---> Using cache
 ---> b26f78d0da28
Step 4/7 : RUN yum search msodbcsql17
 ---> Using cache
 ---> c6f7751b97dc
Step 5/7 : ENV ACCEPT_EULA=Y
 ---> Using cache
 ---> 2b0003944673
Step 6/7 : RUN yum install -y unixODBC unixODBC-devel
 ---> Using cache
 ---> 1d0b8c594905
Step 7/7 : RUN yum install -y msodbcsql17
 ---> Running in 67c30e75fb42
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:08:11 ago on Wed Aug  5 09:36:32 2020.
Error:
 Problem: cannot install the best candidate for the job
  - nothing provides e2fsprogs needed by msodbcsql17-17.6.1.1-1.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)
The command '/bin/sh -c yum install -y msodbcsql17' returned a non-zero code: 1

This error is pretty reproducible here is the test dockerfile i'm using to debug


FROM registry.redhat.io/ubi8/ubi
RUN curl https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/8/prod.repo > /etc/yum.repos.d/mssql-release.repo
RUN yum search odbc
RUN yum search msodbcsql17
ENV ACCEPT_EULA=Y
RUN yum install -y unixODBC unixODBC-devel 
RUN yum install -y msodbcsql17

Has anyone managed to get this ODBC driver installed on an RHEL 8 UBI based container?

4 Answers

I found a work around that I hope will help the next person to hit this. Rather than running yum install -y msodbcsql17 I instead used yum to download the RPM yum download -y msodbcsql17 then used rpm -Uvh --nodeps msodbcsql17*rpm to install it.

You can use this docker file:

FROM registry.redhat.io/ubi8/ubi
RUN curl https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/8/prod.repo > /etc/yum.repos.d/mssql-release.repo
RUN yum search odbc
RUN yum search msodbcsql17
ENV ACCEPT_EULA=Y
RUN yum install -y unixODBC unixODBC-devel 
RUN yum download -y msodbcsql17
RUN rpm -Uvh --nodeps msodbcsql17*rpm

@daark thank you for posting your solution. Your solution got me over the problem I was facing. I ended modifying your solution to the following (in case it helps anyone else):

FROM registry.access.redhat.com/ubi8/python-38

USER root
RUN yum update --assumeyes && \
  yum install --assumeyes \
    unixODBC-devel \
  && yum clean all

RUN curl https://packages.microsoft.com/config/rhel/8/prod.repo > /etc/yum.repos.d/mssql-release.repo
RUN yum download -y msodbcsql17
RUN ACCEPT_EULA=y rpm -Uvh --nodeps msodbcsql17*rpm

I tried to add this to the @daark's solution as a comment, but it was too difficult to display the code properly.

Good luck to anyone else facing this issue

Latest msodbcsql17 release fixes this issue. The documentation steps work smooth once again. See docs issue

I can confirm that installation on redhat/ubi8 works with msodbcsql17-17.8.1.2-1.x86_64.rpm.

FROM redhat/ubi8 
COPY msodbcsql17-17.8.1.2-1.x86_64.rpm /tmp 
RUN MSSQL_PID=Developer ACCEPT_EULA=Y yum -y localinstall /tmp/msodbcsql17-17.8.1.2-1.x86_64.rpm; rm /tmp/msodbcsql17-17.8.1.2-1.x86_64.rpm
Related