I've wrote small python program to make regex changes and to convert my pdf textbook into audio files to listen to while I drive. It occurred to me that I could use the pdf reading program Librera Reader which has built in TTS and regex replacement to do this task more flexibly and while being able to read along easily. However, Librera Reader can't use a group reference in the replacement text.
This is the substitution I had been using:
([a-zA-Z|\)|%][\.|\,|a-z|\)])\d+(?:[-,]\d+)*
Here is a simplified version that does most of the work for the purpose of this question:
([a-zA-Z][\.])\d+
Replaced with:
\1
Is there a way to use Regex to capture a letter followed by a period followed by a number like this without using a group reference in the replacement and without capturing a number period number string. so that I could make the following conversion:
test words.7 Also 1.5 is a number that can test.9
test words. Also 1.5 is a number that can test.