I have a question about allocate_unique from Boost. It looks like that resulting unique_ptrs are quite limited - they cannot be default constructed to nullptr without providing a deleter (even an invalid one), and also, move assignment does not work.
Luckily, move construction does work, so I was able to hack around not having move assignment by calling the destructor and move-constructing using placement new.
Is it a defect in Boost that alloc_deleter is not moveable, and thus disables move assignment of these unique_ptrs? Or am I misunderstanding something?
#include <memory>
#include <memory_resource>
#include <boost/smart_ptr/allocate_unique.hpp>
#include <iostream>
using Pma = std::pmr::polymorphic_allocator<std::byte>;
template<typename T> using pmr_deleter = boost::alloc_deleter<T, Pma>;
template<typename T> using pmr_unique_ptr = std::unique_ptr<T, pmr_deleter<T>>;
struct Vertex {
float x = 1;
float y = 2;
float z = 3;
};
int main() {
auto& res = *std::pmr::new_delete_resource();
pmr_deleter<Vertex> d(nullptr);
pmr_unique_ptr<Vertex> v_empty(nullptr, d); // will not default construct without deleter??
pmr_unique_ptr<Vertex> v = boost::allocate_unique<Vertex>(Pma(&res), Vertex{7,8,9});
// v_empty = std::move(v); // operator=(unique_ptr&&) gets deleted because `alloc_deleter` is not moveable!
// We can hack in a move like this:
v_empty.~pmr_unique_ptr<Vertex>();
new (&v_empty) pmr_unique_ptr<Vertex>(v.get(), v.get_deleter());
v.release();
std::cout << v_empty->x << "," << v_empty->y << "," << v_empty->z << std::endl;
return 0;
}