I'm getting a click event from SendGrid for every link in an email sent to Gmail users, and it is definitely not me clicking the links, I even get the first click event to my SendGrid webhook before SendGrid sends the delivered event to me.
This adds needless hits to both the webhook endpoint and to the pages it hits, I can filter out the click events so I won't get false click counts by filtering for user agents with "Gmail-content-sampling" in it as the user agent supplied is
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.246 Gmail-content-sampling
However it would still needlessly hit the site umpteen thousand times in a few minutes (I don't think that will agree with the standard click here to validate email address links) and I don't want to have to add a block user agent per for every request.
Although filtering would be a problem if other providers do the same thing or Gmail change the user agent.
I have tried adding rel="nofollow" to the links but it still does it.
Anyone experience this/know how to get gmail to f-off ?
Edit:
As at 10th August google have undone their stuff up.