Trying to sync zip file using git LFS, says I'm out of space

Viewed 518

I have a zip file that's about 600MB. I have the file setup to track using LFS. The zip changes frequently so I need to update it in the remote repo often.

I have no problem pushing the file to LFS if my LFS storage is empty. However, when I try to push it if the file already exists in LFS, I get an error: "Your LFS push failed because you're out of file storage". The updated file is still not more than 600MB. I have a 1 GB limit with Bitbucket.

My assumption was that the file would just be updated on remote with each push if it has changed. However, that apparently is not true. In order to get the file pushed to remote, I have to manually login to Bitbucket and delete the file from LFS so I can push the updated version.

I'm assuming I am not doing something correctly and shouldn't need to manually delete my LFS to push changes to remote. I apparently am gravely misunderstanding how to use git LFS.

My apologies if this topic already exists. I swear I tried looking for it.

2 Answers

Could it be that LFS tries to upload the new version of large file before deleting the previous one? If this is the case you need at least 1.2GB in order to update a 600MB file.

To test it, you could try with a smaller test version of the zip file (about 300MB). If you are able to update it and logging in Bitbucket you find previous version is no longer there, you know the problem is your 1GB limit.

For any object storage(zip file, blob etc), the whole file is uploaded and a pointer is created to keep track of latest version. If blob size is more than your allocated quota, you will face space issue as 2 different versions of same blob(of almost same size) will actually double the space usage.

Related