Transparent Background of Matplotlib Plot

Viewed 5106

I am using Matplotlib and Seaborn for some plotting purposes. I want plots that have a transparent background instead of a black-background. My code is

plt.style.use("dark_background")
plt.figure(figsize=(15,8))
sns.swarmplot(x='type',y='value', data=df, size=3.5, color='r', alpha=0.4)
sns.boxplot(x='type',y='value',data=df)

and the plot is enter image description here

Now is there any style or technique using which I can have same background color of plot which I have for my cell, i.e background of my plot is Transparent.

Thanks

1 Answers

If you just want the entire background for both the figure and the axes to be transparent, you can simply specify transparent=True when saving the figure with fig.savefig.

e.g.:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
fig = plt.figure()
plt.plot(range(10))
fig.savefig('temp.png', transparent=True)

If you want more fine-grained control, you can simply set the facecolor and/or alpha values for the figure and axes background patch. (To make a patch completely transparent, we can either set the alpha to 0, or set the facecolor to 'none' (as a string, not the object None!))

e.g.:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
fig = plt.figure()
fig.patch.set_facecolor('blue')
fig.patch.set_alpha(0.7)
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
ax.plot(range(10))
ax.patch.set_facecolor('red')
ax.patch.set_alpha(0.5)
# If we don't specify the edgecolor and facecolor for the figure when
# saving with savefig, it will override the value we set earlier!
fig.savefig('temp.png', facecolor=fig.get_facecolor(), edgecolor='none')
plt.show()
Related