I have a <main> HTML element that takes up 80% of the <body> element on a page and it has a max-width value of max-width: 1220px.
Outside of this <main> element I have a small SVG arrow - is it possible with the CSS calc() function to have this so it is always in the middle of the area outside the main element on the left hand side?
If I didn't have a max-width property I could just do left: 10% but this only works up until the main element hits it max-width.
The full code is below and I've managed to get it so it aligns with the left hand side of the main element, but I can't get it so it is halfway across the white space on the left hand side. I'm thinking it may not be possible in CSS.
Codepen: https://codepen.io/emilychews/pen/bGEJjwX
Note 1: When viewing the snippet below you'll need to view it full-page because of the max-width value.
Note 2: What I am trying to do is illustrated in the below image.
main {
position: relative;
margin: 0 auto;
width: 80%;
padding: 6rem 0;
background: red;
height: 100vh;
max-width: 1220px;
}
.down-arrow {
position: absolute;
width: 1rem;
height: 1rem;
bottom: 25vh;
/* THIS IS THE BIT I NEED HELP WITH */
left: calc((100% - 1220px) / 2);
}
<main>
<div class="row"></div>
</main>
<svg class="down-arrow" aria-hidden="true" viewBox="0 0 410.95 355.89">
<polygon fill="#000" points="205.47 354.89 410.08 0.5 0.87 0.5 205.47 354.89" /></svg>
