I really appreciate the Raku's &?BLOCK variable – it lets you recurse within an unnamed block, which can be extremely powerful. For example, here's a simple, inline, and anonymous factorial function:
{ when $_ ≤ 1 { 1 };
$_ × &?BLOCK($_ - 1) }(5) # OUTPUT: «120»
However, I have some questions about it when used in more complex situations. Consider this code:
{ say "Part 1:";
my $a = 1;
print ' var one: '; dd $a;
print ' block one: '; dd &?BLOCK ;
{
my $a = 2;
print ' var two: '; dd $a;
print ' outer var: '; dd $OUTER::a;
print ' block two: '; dd &?BLOCK;
print "outer block: "; dd &?OUTER::BLOCK
}
say "\nPart 2:";
print ' block one: '; dd &?BLOCK;
print 'postfix for: '; dd &?BLOCK for (1);
print ' prefix for: '; for (1) { dd &?BLOCK }
};
which yields this output (I've shortened the block IDs):
Part 1:
var one: Int $a = 1
block one: -> ;; $_? is raw = OUTER::<$_> { #`(Block|…6696) ... }
var two: Int $a = 2
outer var: Int $a = 1
block two: -> ;; $_? is raw = OUTER::<$_> { #`(Block|…8496) ... }
outer block: -> ;; $_? is raw = OUTER::<$_> { #`(Block|…8496) ... }
Part 2:
block one: -> ;; $_? is raw = OUTER::<$_> { #`(Block|…6696) ... }
postfix for: -> ;; $_ is raw { #`(Block|…9000) ... }
prefix for: -> ;; $_ is raw { #`(Block|…9360) ... }
Here's what I don't understand about that: why does the &?OUTER::BLOCK refer (based on its ID) to block two rather than block one? Using OUTER with $a correctly causes it to refer to the outer scope, but the same thing doesn't work with &?BLOCK. Is it just not possible to use OUTER with &?BLOCK? If not, is there a way to access the outer block from the inner block? (I know that I can assign &?BLOCK to a named variable in the outer block and then access that variable in the inner block. I view that as a workaround but not a full solution because it sacrifices the ability to refer to unnamed blocks, which is where much of &?BLOCK's power comes from.)
Second, I am very confused by Part 2. I understand why the &?BLOCK that follows the prefix for refers to an inner block. But why does the &?BLOCK that precedes the postfix for also refer to its own block? Is a block implicitly created around the body of the for statement? My understanding is that the postfix forms were useful in large part because they do not require blocks. Is that incorrect?
Finally, why do some of the blocks have OUTER::<$_> in the but others do not? I'm especially confused by Block 2, which is not the outermost block.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! (And if any of the code behavior shown above indicates a Rakudo bug, I am happy to write it up as an issue.)