Kustomize: no matches for kind "Kustomization" in version "kustomize.config.k8s.io/v1beta1"

Viewed 11146

I am new to Kustomize and am getting the following error:

Error: unable to build kubernetes objects from release manifest: unable to recognize "": no matches for kind "Kustomization" in version "kustomize.config.k8s.io/v1beta1"

but I am using the boilerplate kustomization.yaml

apiVersion: kustomize.config.k8s.io/v1beta1
kind: Kustomization
resources:
- deployment.yaml
- service.yaml

Question: What does the group name (kustomize.config.k8s.io) mean and why does Kustomize not recognize the kind?

3 Answers

So this api version is correct, although I am still not certain why. In order to get past this error message, I needed to run:

kubectl apply -k dir/.

I hope this helps someone in the future!

If you used apply -f you would see this error. Using -k would definitely work.

You are using kustomize tool (Kustomize is a standalone tool to customize the creation of Kubernetes objects through a file called kustomization.yaml). For applying customization you have to use:

kubectl apply -k foldername(where you store the deploy,service yaml file)
Related