Not able to use dnsmasq on macOS Catalina, pings result in `Unknown host` error

Viewed 3006

I'm trying to get dnsmasq up and running on my Macbook Pro (Catalina installed), but without any luck. Dnsmasq should help me with my local development projects without updating the hosts file constantly. At first I tried to get all local domains with suffix .local up and running, but after each ping I received the message ping: cannot resolve somedomain.local: Unknown host.

After reading this this thread I replaced the suffix .local with .intern, but still no luck.

This is my setup:

/usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf:

address=/.intern/127.0.0.1
listen-address=127.0.0.1
port=5354

/etc/resolver/intern

nameserver 127.0.0.1

After executing sudo lsof -i -n -P | grep TCP, dnsmasq seems to run:

dnsmasq   33014         nobody    5u  IPv4 0x772f1bc094afa8cb      0t0  TCP 127.0.0.1:5354 (LISTEN)

I even added 127.0.0.1 to the DNS list of my WiFi adapter as well as my thunderbolt ethernet adapter. It does take quite longer to ping, but in the end I still get a ping: cannot resolve test.intern: Unknown host message.

Any thoughts what might cause this issue?

1 Answers
Related