I want to use Linux Perf infrastructure to collect performance metrics of applications through the PAPI interface[1]. As I am interested also in un-core events, I will need perf paranoia settings set to -1, i.e.
echo "-1" > /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid
However, the administrators of my "local" cluster are reluctant to do so, fearing that the setting "-1" will potentially allow users to read out memory regions containing sensitive data such as credentials (password, ssh-keys) of the root user. (Note, that the compute nodes are never shared between users and rebooted between jobs, so only root is exposed.)
I would like to understand the real risks of this setting. I am aware of the document "Perf events and tool security" [2], but honestly do not have the skill to assess the implications for root credentials from it.
Any sketch of an argumentation line to convince my admins is also very much appreciated.