I have used below structure to create a threadpool, now the question is how do I let all the preallocate threads end properly?
std::vector<pthread_t> preallocatedThreadsPool; // threadpool
std::queue<int> tcpQueue; // a queue to hold my task
pthread_mutex_t mutex = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
pthread_cond_t condition_var = PTHREAD_COND_INITIALIZER;
void* threadFunctionUsedByThreadsPool(void *arg);
main () {
preallocatedThreadsPool.resize(preallocatThreadsNumber);
for(pthread_t i : preallocatedThreadsPool) {
pthread_create(&i, NULL, threadFunctionUsedByThreadsPool, NULL);
}
pthread_mutex_lock(&mutex); // one thread mess with the queue at one time
tcpQueue.push(task);
pthread_cond_signal(&condition_var);
pthread_mutex_unlock(&mutex);
}
void* threadFunctionUsedByThreadsPool(void *arg) {
while (true) {
pthread_mutex_lock(&mutex);
if (tcpQueue.empty()) { // can't get work from the queue then just wait
pthread_cond_wait(&condition_var, &mutex); // wait for the signal from other thread to deal with client otherwise sleep
task = tcpQueue.front();
tcpQueue.pop();
}
pthread_mutex_unlock(&mutex);
if (task) {
// do task
}
}
return NULL;
}
I have been searching for days for this problem still can not find a decent solution, the closest one I have tried is , when the program wants to quit, push a special item into the queue, then inside threadFunctionUsedByThreadsPool, when detecting such item, I will call pthread_join, however, when I using gdb tool to debug it , those pre-allocated threads are still there, anyone could help, better with some code, for example, how do I modify the threadFunctionUsedByThreadsPool, so that I can quit all the pre-allocated threads properly? Thanks so much!!!