I've just started using Recoil on a new project and I'm not sure if there is a better way to accomplish this.
My app is an interface to basically edit a JSON file containing an array of objects. It reads the file in, groups the objects based on a specific property into tabs, and then a user can navigate the tabs, see the few hundred values per tab, make changes and then save the changes.
I'm using recoil because it allows me to access the state of each input from anywhere in my app, which makes saving much easier - in theory...
In order to generate State for each object in the JSON file, I've created an component that returns null and I map over the initial array, create the component, which creates Recoil state using an AtomFamily, and then also saves the ID to another piece of Recoil state so I can keep a list of everything.
Question 1 Is these a better way to do this? The null component doesn't feel right, but storing the whole array in a single piece of state causes a re-render of everything on every keypress.
To Save the data, I have a button which calls a function. That function just needs to get the ID's, loop through them, get the state of each one, and push them into an Array. I've done this with a Selector too, but the issue is that I can't call getRecoilValue from a function because of the Rules of Hooks - but if I make the value available to the parent component, it again slows everything right down.
Question 2 I'm pretty sure I'm missing the right way to think about storing state and using hooks, but I haven't found any samples for this particular use case - needing to generate the state up front, and then accessing it all again on Save. Any guidance?