I have a domain hosted through Route 53 called foo.com and all is good. I have both NS and SOA records created in Route 53:
foo.com. NS
ns-1609.awsdns-09.co.uk.
ns-431.awsdns-53.com.
ns-1071.awsdns-05.org.
ns-662.awsdns-18.net.
foo.com. SOA
ns-1609.awsdns-09.co.uk. awsdns-hostmaster.amazon.com.
We also segment our platforms by account. So, we have an AWS subaccount that supports our DEV environment (following the AWS document: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/Route53/latest/DeveloperGuide/dns-routing-traffic-for-subdomains.html). So, within our foo.com hosted zone, we also have an entry:
devapi.foo.com. NS
ns-3476.awsdns-09.co.uk.
ns-2341.awsdns-76.com.
ns-3245.awsdns-56.org.
ns-294.awsdns-67.net.
Within our AWS DEV account, we have a devapi.foo.com hosted zone with the exact same NS record:
devapi.foo.com. NS
ns-3476.awsdns-09.co.uk.
ns-2341.awsdns-76.com.
ns-3245.awsdns-56.org.
ns-294.awsdns-67.net.
along with a SOA record and an A record that points at the DEV API Gateway:
devapi.foo.com. A ALIAS f-8wdjr4hvgh.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com.
where f-8wdjr4hvgh.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com. is the domain name of the API Gateway.
I have a custom domain mapping for devapi.foo.com
Unfortunately, in all of this, devapi.foo.com is not pingable/routable. If you ping it, it returns an IP address but a Request timeout for icmp_seq* ...
If I use https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/ for devapi.foo.com, I get green check marks but I believe that all that is telling me is that the domain name is resolvable.
Thoughts on what I am missing?
Followup: The issue was with the Custom Domain Mapping and Base Path.