I understand how arrays can be passed to functions in c++, but I don't understand what is the point of including array's size in a function declaration when this size is ignored anyway, because what we are really passing to function is a pointer to the first element of the array.
For example if we have following code:
void ArrayTest1(int(&ints)[3])
{
for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) std::cout << ints[i];
}
void ArrayTest2(int ints[3])
{
for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) std::cout << ints[i];
}
void ArrayTest3(int ints[])
{
for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++) std::cout << ints[i];
}
int main()
{
int ints[] = { 1, 2 };
//ArrayTest1(ints); //won't compile
ArrayTest2(ints); //ok
ArrayTest3(ints); //ok
return 0;
}
Then from what I understand functions ArrayTest2 and ArrayTest3 are identical.
Is syntax used in ArrayTest2 only meant to make it clear that this function expects an array with 3 elements and passing array with a different size can cause errors? I'm not new to programming, but I'm new to c++ so I'd like to know what is the point of such syntax and when do people use it.