So I'm trying to send an HTML email (using PHP if that matters) with wide tables in it and have it formatted as horizontally scrollable in Gmail for Android and iOS. Anyhow, no matter what I do, I can't get a horizontal scrollbar to appear in the Gmail app for Android, although it does seem to work in Gmail on the web. I've tried this with table width 100% and no table width and min-width and nothing works. I have also tried it with overflow-x: auto instead of scroll.
Gmail for Android just shows up to a certain column and then, if you swipe right to scroll, it takes you to the previous email. What I have noticed is that, if I go into my Gmail for Android settings and disable "Auto-fit messages," it solves the problem. Unfortunately, that's the default setting and I can't count on all of my readers to disable it (is there a way to disable it in my html?).
Here's my html for the email.
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<div style="overflow-x: scroll;">
<table style="width: 100%;">
<tr>
<th>Article</th>
<th>Entrance</th>
<th>Page Views</th>
<th>Author</th>
<th>Images in Article</th>
<th>Links in Article</th>
<th>Links to Article</th>
<th>Meta Title</th>
<th>Google Referrers</th>
<th>AMP Traffic</th>
<th>Users</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>How to Scroll in Gmail</td>
<td>500,000</td>
<td>700,000</td>
<td>John Smith</td>
<td>25</td>
<td>200</td>
<td>How to Scroll in Gmail: a Comprehensive Guide</td>
<td>2,000,000</td>
<td>3,000,000</td>
<td>100,000,000</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
</body>
</html>
Any ideas? Or is it impossible to make a horiz scrollbar appear in the Gmail app, because Google wants to have its swipe right thing?