I am trying to replace an existing function pointer in a shared library with a callback defined in Python, through ctypes.
The source of the shared library in C:
#include <assert.h>
#include <stdio.h>
void (*plot)();
int c_main(int argc, void** argv) {
printf("plot is %p\n", (void*)plot);
assert(plot != NULL);
plot();
return 0;
}
The source of the Python script:
from sys import platform
from pathlib import Path
import ctypes
import _ctypes
FUNCTYPE = ctypes.WINFUNCTYPE if platform == 'win32' else ctypes.CFUNCTYPE
def dlclose(obj):
if platform == "win32":
_ctypes.FreeLibrary(obj._handle)
else:
_ctypes.dlclose(obj._handle)
def enc_args(args):
C_ARGS = (ctypes.POINTER(ctypes.c_char) * len(args))()
for idx, arg in enumerate(args):
C_ARGS[idx] = ctypes.create_string_buffer(arg.encode("utf-8"))
return C_ARGS
@FUNCTYPE(None)
def plotxy():
print("plotxy")
C_ARGS = enc_args([str(Path(__file__))])
CAUXDLL = ctypes.CDLL("./test.so")
print(plotxy)
print(CAUXDLL.plot)
CAUXDLL.plot = plotxy
print(CAUXDLL.plot)
print(CAUXDLL.c_main(len(C_ARGS), C_ARGS))
The script to test it:
gcc -fPIC -shared -o test.so test.c
python3 test.py
The output I get:
# ./test.sh
<CFunctionType object at 0x7fb1f0abb1c0>
<_FuncPtr object at 0x7fb1f0abb640>
<CFunctionType object at 0x7fb1f0abb1c0>
plot is (nil)
python3: test.c:8: c_main: Assertion `plot != NULL' failed.
./test.sh: line 3: 21171 Aborted python3 test.py
So, it seems that the function defined in Python (plotxy) is of type CFunctionType, while the function pointer defined in C is of type _FuncPtr. Although the replacement in CAUXDLL is applied, it seems to have no effect when the main function is called.
Apart from reading https://docs.python.org/3/library/ctypes.html#module-ctypes, I found other questions (e.g. How to use typedef in ctypes or python cytpes creating callback function - Segmentation fault (core dumped)), but I cannot find how to convert CFunctionType (plotxy) to _FuncPtr.
EDIT
I believe this might not be an issue with the regular usage of ctypes. That's something I have successfully achieved and which is sufficiently explained in the docs. This question goes beyond. I don't want to execute the C function. I want Python to replace an existing function pointer with a callback written in Python. Note that it is possible to do it by using a helper C function (see https://github.com/ghdl/ghdl-cosim/blob/master/vhpidirect/shared/pycb/caux.c#L32-L40). Hence this question is about how to achieve it without that helper function (if possible).