I have a 9Mb PBIX containing small tables and one table with 250k rows. Data imported from various xlsx & JSON sources. Machine is Windows 10 Pro, 2.6GHz, 64 bit, 16GB RAM.
On the Power BI service online the performance is ok, but on desktop it's practically unworkable. With task manager I can see that it is using 7Mb of memory, but almost 100% CPU, half an hour after opening - while on a blank tab with no visualisations.
I don't understand what it is doing in the background and how I can improve the situation.
There is the 'Allow data preview to download in the background' setting, but I think this is only relevant to the query editor? Would clearing the cache or changing cache settings help?
I am aware of performance analyzer and the query diagnostics tools, but neither seem relevant since the queries are not refreshing and there are no visualisations loading.
Am at a bit of a loss - any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks