IntelliJ Idea: Maven compilation warning about supported annotation processor source version 'RELEASE_6' on Java 11

Viewed 6997

Upon mvn clean install smart execution in IntelliJ Idea using Java 11 I get the following warning:

Warning:java: Supported source version 'RELEASE_6' from annotation processor 'net.java.dev.hickory.prism.internal.PrismGenerator' less than -source '11'

How to fix it and where does it come from? Note I use:

  • Lombok version 1.18.12
  • Mapstruct version 1.3.1.Final

I have also enabled annotation processing in the IDE with default settings:

  • Build, Execution, Deployment -> Compiler -> Annotation processors -> check Enable annotation processing
2 Answers

After read this answer, I solved the issue by enabling Delegate IDE build/run actions to Maven in the intellij settings.

Check IDEA-200481 for more details.

intellij settings

The reason can be found in the comments section, this is an IntelliJ Idea bug IDEA-200481.

The MapStruct issue (1644) at GitHub contains a comprehensive explanation 1644#437463737.

See IDEA-200481. IntelliJ is picking up the provided dependencies when doing the compilation.

...skipped... We can't move the hickory dependency to the annotationProcessorPaths section of the maven compiler because the @GeneratePrisms annotations are part of the dependency, so we won't be able to use them. If you think that we could do something on our side reopen this issue.

Related