So I have a very simple Next.js application that I would like to add authentication to using next-iron-session and the withIronSession function. Inside of my api folder, I have a simple component that grabs the login form data, performs a complex authentication action, then sets the user using
req.session.set("user", { email });
import { withIronSession } from "next-iron-session";
const VALID_EMAIL = "user";
const VALID_PASSWORD = "password";
export default withIronSession(
async (req, res) => {
if (req.method === "POST") {
const { email, password } = req.body;
if (email === VALID_EMAIL && password === VALID_PASSWORD) {
req.session.set("user", { email });
await req.session.save();
console.log(req.session.get());
return res.status(201).send("");
}
return res.status(403).send("");
}
return res.status(404).send("");
},
{
cookieName: "MYSITECOOKIE",
password: '2gyZ3GDw3LHZQKDhPmPDL3sjREVRXPr8'
}
);
After the user is set in the session, I return a 201, and the client redirects to my protected page, where I try to grab that user in the getServerSideProps function using the withIronSession as a wrapper.
import { withIronSession } from "next-iron-session";
export const getServerSideProps = withIronSession(
async ({ req, res }) => {
const user = req.session.get("user");
console.log(user);
if (!user) {
res.statusCode = 403;
res.end();
return { props: {} };
}
return {
props: { }
};
},
{
cookieName: 'MYSITECOOKIE',
password: "2gyZ3GDw3LHZQKDhPmPDL3sjREVRXPr8"
}
);
However, even though the user is found in the API function after it is set, ({"user", { email }}), that same session object returns {} in the getServerSideProps function in my protected component, which in my case always results in a 403. Is there a way to access the user that is set in the login component in the getServerSideProps function?
Note* I was trying to follow this article, maybe it provides more information.
https://dev.to/chrsgrrtt/easy-user-authentication-with-next-js-18oe