Background: LetsEncrypt requires me to put a file (Type: none) with a specific filename and specific text in it in a path (hyperlink) so that it can find it. The reason I need the SSL cert is because I have another domain(let's call it www.domainname.com which is what it redirects to when you type in www.username.github.io)
Path required: www.username.github.io/.well-known/acme-challenge/filename or
www.domainname.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/filename
What I've tried: Creating the link by adding the required file into my Github repo (edit path using: backspace to remove a previous folder, / to create one). This is not a jekyll site and in order to make the links work I read that I need to add an empty .nojekll file at the root, after which non-root links with folder names starting with "." began working.
Problem: Every link except that specific link/path works. Even www.domainname.com/.well-known3/acme-challenge/filename works!
However, the previous one that's the required link lands at "There isn't a Github Pages site here" or "File not Found".