Handling user data and storage in Ethereum Dapps-Understanding

Viewed 592

I've just started writing smart contracts and developing Dapps on the Ethereum Blockchain, basically users interacting with the smart contract and storing some lightweight data into the blockchain. I have a general but very vague idea on how to do all of this so I simply wanted to make sure that I got stuff right, so please beare with me .

What I want to do:

  • User Login : I am not very sure about this. Should I handle it as a traditional user login ( database) or I could use the blockchain for that? and if so , how would I be able to do so?

  • Store data (Strings, boolean and an Image) into the blockchain via a web interface: I've seen some tutorials but most of them don't 'store' the data, I want to be able to show this data to my user . So maybe I should use a JSON file? I read about IPFS fo image storing but I dont know how to associate a hash to my Eth account.

  • What I did :

    • Set up my own private Ethereum Blockchain

    • Written a contract that handles a string ( user's name) and then returns it on the GUI

    • Written the web interface

TL;DR: I am trying to store user's data into the blockchain so that I can show it again but I dont know how to proceed. I am also confused about the user Login . Please help me ( any links would be greatly appreciated) or at least tell me if I'm on the right path.

1 Answers
  • For login you can have a user to sign a message using the private key in their wallet on web or mobile Then on the server-side you can verify this message came from a certain Ethereum address and create the database record for the matching address in fly

  • You can store data in a transactional blockchain, but it is discouraged and not the purpose of a blockchain. The data storage cost on a public Ethereum blockchain will be millions of times more than in a database or other dedicated storaeg. If you do this for learning I suggest you try products like Storj or Sia for decentralised file storage.

Related