Upgrading pycharm venv python version

Viewed 6509

I have python 3.6 in my venv on PyCharm. However, I want to change that to Python 3.8. I have already installed 3.8, so how do I change my venv python version?

I am on windows 10.

Changing the version on the project intepreter settings seems to run using the new venv not my existing venv with all the packages I have installed. Attempting to add a new intepreter also results in the "OK" button being greyed out, possibly due to the current venv being not empty.

2 Answers

You need to create a new virtual environment with the interpreter which version is 3.8.

  1. Go to Settings => Project => Python Interpreter

enter image description here

  1. Click on the vertical 3 dots, and click on "Add".

enter image description here

  1. Select Virtualenv Environment => New Environment

enter image description here

  1. Choose as base interpreter the one which version is 3.8 (the one you just installed)

enter image description here

  1. Click on "OK" => "OK"

  2. Once you have set the new interpreter, PyCharm will warn you that you need update some dependencies based on your requirements.txt file or, in this case, Pipfile.lock (I am using pipenv for this project)

enter image description here

That's it!

In pycharm you can do further steps:

  1. Go in File-->Settings-->Python Interpreter
  2. Select different python environment if already available from the drop down, If not click on "Add".
  3. Select New Environment option, then in Base interpreter you can select 3.8 version
Related